Saturday 4 December 2010

Civil War letter analysis

Franklin ounty, Pennsylvania: David to Mary Jane Demus, November 8th, 1863 and feburary 23, 1864.




























Analysis:
I can tell that the authors are black, through the language they speak in, and how the word is sounded a sit is written; also, everyone in the 45 regiment are black which the husband indicates that he is in the 45 regiment. In addition, I can tell that both authors are not sagely highly educated, since they both had many spelling mistakes which seems like they spell words by their sounding to them. I cannot tell whether the authors are confederacy or union, what is happening at that time, or about their own views or attitudes he holds that have led the husband to make the commitment to fight. However, I can tell that the husband misses his family very much, and he has a good relationship with his family too. Most of the issues discussed in this letter is personal and has nothing to do with the military actions. It seems like the author’s family are having financial problems, that his wife wants to work but the husband has opinion about it. Nothing about the Civil War is mentioned; it seems like the husband does not even want to fight and that they both do not care about anything in the war. Through research on the internet, I didn’t find any information about the two authors beside their letters. So probably, David Demus the husband is not a very important figure in the military at that time.

About David Demus:
I'm an union soldier, in Franklin Pennsylvania. I was identified as a “Mulatto” in Franklin County’s 1860 census, is a twenty-two year old farm hand from Mercersburg, Pennsylvania who, along with my brother George and other black county residents, gets recruited by white abolitionists to serve in the 54th Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, one of the first official black regiments in the Civil War. As a boy, I spent much of my time with the neighboring Christy family, especially brothers Samual, William, Joseph, and Jacob, all of whom would leave their responsibilities on the Christy family farm to join me in the 54th.

No comments:

Post a Comment